Compton Hospice specialist palliative care team works to optimise the quality of life for patients who have a life-limitting illness, and their families. The generic referral criteria are provided below. Additional information is provided for some services (as indicated) and should be considered prior to completing the referral form.
The hospice provides care to patients in
Where services are provided
Care provided by the hospice may be in the patients' own home, The Woods Day Therapy Centre/out-patients or in-patient unit.
Criteria for Referral
- Patients should live within the Compton Hospice catchment area
- All referrals must be made with the knowledge and expressed consent of the patient
- The patient should be over 18 years of age
- The patient has been diagnosed with a life limiting illness
- The patient has complex physical, psychosocial and/or spiritual needs caused by the effects of the illness on the patient, family or carer; unable to be managed at that time by the Primary Health Care Team
Process for Referral
- Referrals must be made by health and social care professionals. All parts of the referral form must be completed (incomplete referrals will be returned and will result in delay for the patient)
- All referrals will be triaged on weekday mornings to ensure the patient meets the criteria and that services are offered based on need.
- If you consider a referral to be urgent, please follow up the referral form with a telephone call to 0845 225 5497. In working hours please ask for 'medical secretaries', for out of hours your call will be transferred to a health care professional.
- All other referrals will be contacted as soon as possible usually within 5 working days.
- All referrals should be supported by relevant up to date clinical information.
- All referrals for The Woods Therapy Centre must be accompanied with the risk assessment form that can be downloaded here
- The patient no longer meets the referral criteria
- The patient declines the service offered
- There is no further scope to impact on the patient's need
- The patients place of care has changed
The following services are available: (further information is provided for those services highlighted and may be accessed by clicking that service)
Community Nurse Specialist Team
Hospice at Home (Wolverhampton and South Staffs)
Journey (Children & Young Families Bereavement Service)